Two Documents Your College-Bound Student Should Have

If you are about to send a child off to college, please consider having them sign a Durable Power of Attorney and a Health Care Power of Attorney before they go. Without them, if your child is 18, you don’t have any authority to make health care decisions for them, or manage their money, if something happens to them. Once they are 18 they are adults under Michigan law. Without a Durable Power of Attorney or Health Care Power of Attorney, you can find yourself in probate court if they have an accident and need your help.

We would be pleased to meet with you and your child in order to have these important documents prepared. Or, alternatively, they can order them from us online at